Friday, January 17, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - Jan 17, 1939


75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
Jan 17, 1939 
 
 This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.
Now we are beginning 1939 - the year I was born, on July 1 - Bring it on! ;-)


Here is the daily entry for Tuesday, Jan 17:

Birthday noted: Howard (hired man)

Pete up at 6:00 & me at 6:30.
Made 3 apricot pies, did separator, Betty, LVene, Pauline here. Had steak, spuds, gravy, mac & cheese, lettuce, jell, pickles, apricot pie.
Didn't do dishes until middle of the afternoon. I darned my good gloves. Had men move piano into the dining room.
Ate & then Pete milked. Were going to the Gray games but we were too tired. 11 men to dinner. I finished darning my good gloves while Pete read the paper. Ate our oranges & went to bed early.

My comments: Did you notice she never mentions WHY 11 men were there for the noon meal?? Nice that they moved the piano for her… but, certainly some big activity!! I am really curious, but guess we'll never know. ;-)
 


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment