Tuesday, August 28, 2012

75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - August 28, 1937


 75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - August 28, 1937


This entry is the daily post on this blog from the diary of eighteen year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date.

Since midway through 2010, a weekly update/comments blog entry began to appear on the Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. Those weekly entries, on that blog, on each Tuesday of the week, will continue, with links to these daily entries.


 [August 1, 1937, at Ledges]

Here is the short entry for Saturday, August 28:

Pete called from Lund's at noon. Grand to see him. Elmer sick so Pete helped at station at nite. Telling all about trip. Photograph Bk.

Here is the long entry for Saturday, August 28:

 Pete called from Lund's at noon & I went over. Did it ever seem grand to be together again. Elmer was sick so Pete worked at the station until 9:30. Did shopping & we went home. Told all about the trip. Pete didn't say a word for 70 miles. Just like him. Brought me a keen photograph book.

My comments: Do you also sense relief that Pete got home, safe and sound? ;-)

Interesting to read that Pete worked at "the station" - that would be Lund's creamery station where folks brought their excess milk, cream and eggs - especially on Saturday night.

I have a related photo from a number of years later, but I am confident the process was still the same, since I do have memories of going to "Lund's station" with our produce on Saturday nights.

This photo has Dad on the left, beside the milk can, in the back of a truck. I don't know the others, and I don't know whose truck, but it fits with the story!  The truck is sitting in our driveway, our tank and barn in the background. The dog on the ground is our "Whitey" and that may be my next younger brother in the truck, the smaller one. If so, it would date this about late 1940s.

[I think this is the only photo of this period where I don't know who it is.
Happy to hear from viewer who think they can identify these neighbors!]


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment