If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read the articles I write each week as the Springfield Genealogy Examiner and as the Ozarks Cultural Heritage Examiner. Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a one. You may also enjoy reading my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - April 20, 1939



75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
April 20, 1939


This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Thursday, April 20:

Did usual work in morning. To town a minute. Took things in for Gleaner's class. Pete discing & harrowing oats east of barn.
LVene, Margaret & Polly came while I was scrubbing. Curled their hair. Finished making smock. Ironed them. Got ready to go to S.S. party at Glenn & Ruth's. Had a wiener roast. 21 there. Home at 12:30.

My comments:

First mention of "Gleaner's class."

She curled a lot of hair! ;-)

"Glenn and Ruth" Bolger, of course, became my in-laws. Nancy was born just 33 days after me. So, whereas Mom was 6 1/2 month pregnant, Ruth was 5 1/2 months along, if I counted right!

Ruth on left, Glenn on right, his sister, Clare, in middle.
Carolyn and Bob?? late in 1938, perhaps


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment