Wednesday, February 12, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - Feb 12, 1939



75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
Feb 12, 1939 
 

This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.
Now we are beginning 1939 - the year I was born, on July 1 - Bring it on! ;-)


Here is the daily entry for Sunday,  Feb 12:

 Pete up at 8:00. Lots warmer out. Scrubbed the kitchen & cleaned dining room.
Had chicken dinner ready when the folks came. Pete worked on the car all afternoon. Folks went down to Rasmuses. I went out and watched Pete awhile. Ate supper & Pete milked while I did dishes. Read the Sunday papers and went to bed early.

My comment: Funny, as I read and transcribed this, the phrase "Pete milked" caught my attention, though she had used those words about every day. Dad did the milking all through high school. He always said that was why he had a car before most guys his age, because he had to finish milking before he could go in town to school. He told lots of stories based on that fact.

This made me wonder how many cows he had brought down from the Homeplace, and paid for the prior week. How many cows, how many pigs, etc. Fun to ponder!

Chicken dinner, something like this, I assume! ;-)



Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment