Thursday, May 1, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - May 1, 1939




75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
May 1, 1939



This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Monday, May 1:

Birthday notes: Lil Ford, Karl Nielsen [My note: 31, and 19, respectively]

Pete up at 5:00. Me at 6:30. Cared for chicks, ate, did seperator & went in to town and washed. Folks got home at 10:00 last nite. Pete fixed pig fence & plowed. Through washing at 10:30. Home & got dinner. Took boar in & sold him. Home at 2:00. Pete plowed. I did dishes, patched Pete's P.J.s, embroidered. Really a grand day. Had pancakes for supper…(ink blot)…baths and went to bed at 9:30.

My comments:

Pretty typical day on the farm in the spring… nice that she gave a lot of detail. FUN! ;-)


We now get the Coon Rapids Enterprise, on line, only, so the May 1 (today) issue was available last night, on line: This article in the 75 years ago column caught my eye. I had notices a few months, or year or so ago, that Harry Cadden had closed and sold his clothing store in town - but I knew he was there in the late 40s and early 50s when I was "around" - I was curious... the answer appeared today, on page 5:

75 Years Ago
April 28, 1939


Harry Cadden, former clothier here, has again opened a clothing store in Coon Rapids, this time in the Speiker building formerly occupied by a beer parlor. Harry is well known here, carries a good line of merchandise and his many friends welcome him back. He will be especially welcomed by the golf playing, fishing and basketball fan clan.

We bought lots of clothes there, as I recall!!  ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment