If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read the articles I write each week as the Springfield Genealogy Examiner and as the Ozarks Cultural Heritage Examiner. Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a one. You may also enjoy reading my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - July 22, 1939



75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
July 22, 1939 
 

This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK SMITH, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Saturday, July 22:


Up early. Took Pete threshing. At Williams'. Home & did separator & made a white cake. Dishes & bathed Billy. Cleaned the house. Slept from 1:00 'till 2:00. Grant & Rita came about 5:00. Pete home before 6:00. Chored ate, bathed, shaved & went in to town. Left Billy at folks. Down town & ordered groceries. Up home & fed Billy & then Lil & Del came. Down & got groceries. In to Boehler's new cafe & had sundaes. Home at 11:30.

My comments:

Wow! Quite a day. Billy very active. Hope he was sleeping while she was! I liked staying with "the folks!" Grandpa and Grandma are neat! ;-)

Funny, as I read… ", bathed, shaved & went in to town." I could see and smell my Dad… I knew just how it was… funny how those things happen!! ;-)

Really stepping out on the town with the new cafe!! But, I'm still thinking about that white cake she made… usually a sheet cake in 9x12 metal cake pan… as I recall, in later years…  ;-)



Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. That picture looks a lot more like an applesauce cake with burnt sugar frosting... I wish I had Grandma Kinnick's recipes for that combination. I think it is hers that is probably my all time favorite cake... all-time favorite... Somebody surely has it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having watched Mom cook so very many things but have no memory of observing her making burnt sugar frosting...

      Delete