Friday, July 18, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - July 18, 1939



75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
July 18, 1939

This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Tuesday, July 18:

Up early. Pete over to Orrin's helping shell. Did work up early. Tried on all my last year's dresses & started to hem my green one. Got dinner, ate, Pete picked beans with I did the dishes. Snapped them. Aunt Kate, LVene, Margaret, Julia, Edith & Patty came. Brought baby a ring. Down in garden & picked a pail of tomatoes.
Pete chored. Pop, Merle, Toots here. Brought baby medicine from Carroll.
Ready to eat when the folks came. Ate, talked, folks left at 9:30. To bed.

My comments:

Another incredibly busy day, with visitors and work. Nice to see the men brought medicine for "baby!"

I believe "Aunt Kate" was Kate Preston, wife of Harry Preston - brother of Pop's wife, my grandmother Ella Preston Ballard Smith. First time I remember her being mentioned; she would have been 66 year old.

Shelling corn from crib to make room for new, later, and to sell, for money, to pay bills, and feed animals…



Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment