If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read the articles I write each week as the Springfield Genealogy Examiner and as the Ozarks Cultural Heritage Examiner. Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a one. You may also enjoy reading my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - June 25, 1939


75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
June 25, 1939


This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Sunday, June 25:

 Pete didn't get up until 7:30. I dressed our first spring chicken while he chores. He worked in garden awhile before dinner. Had keen dinner. Both of us out in garden until 3:30. Up hime & Pete picked a pail of cherries. I watched Irene make a dress for Betty. Home at 6:00. Chored. Folks came out after the washing. They left early. Sat on back porch awhile & then went to bed. Really nice out.

My comments:

There is another of those phrases: "…dressed…chicken…" Know what she means, but not normal meaning of the words! Ain't English great!! ;-)
See: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_a_chicken_called_dressed_chicken?#slide=1

Another image, here… Eileen very pregnant, overdue, per her doctor, sitting watching Irene make a dress. ;-)

I really like her last comment: "Really nice out!" Especially in her condition!!

A "dressed chicken:"



Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. 7 more days!!! and guess who gets to pop out!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dress about 150 lbs of chickens every day at work. But I think if I put a dress on my chickens, people would start to wonder about me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete