Monday, June 16, 2014

75 Years Ago Today - Eileen's Diary - June 16, 1939



75 Years Ago Today
Eileen's Diary
June 16, 1939 
 
 

This entry is a post from the diary of my mother, twenty year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date. She kept a diary from 1932 as a freshman in high school until she left us, too early, in 1999.


Here is the daily entry for Friday, June 16:

Up at 8:00. Folks came before I had the dishes done. Pete crossing corn on the 80. Ate, did dishes. Mom & cleaned out the big box and Dad fixed the dresser & chest drawers so they'd open good. I cleaned up & Mom went down in the garden awhile. I slept while Pete milked & Mom got supper. Ate, did dishes & sat outdoors. Lillian called & said maybe they'd com but they didn't. Irene came, folks left. She stayed & talked until 10:00. Pete took a bath & we went to bed. Almost too hot to sleep.

My comments:

Another hot June day on the farm. Who remembers what "crossing corn" meant? I'd forgotten about it until I read this entry… but lots of memories, when they came back.

How about some really clean corn rows??? ;-)



P.S. These obviously were not "crossed"... ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment