Saturday, May 5, 2012

75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - May 5, 1937


 75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - May 5, 1937


This entry is the daily post on this blog from the diary of eighteen year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date.

Since midway through 2010, a weekly update/comments blog entry began to appear on the Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. Those weekly entries, on that blog, on each Tuesday of the week, will continue, with links to these daily entries.


May 1936 High School Graduation Photo


Here is the short entry for Wednesday, May 5:
Keen day. Pattern man wanted me to work for them. Letter from Bud. Went in to skate. Got there early. So we went riding& then skating. Not a very good time. Too far.

Here is the long entry for Wednesday, May 5:
Keen day. Vogue pattern man in to see me in the morning. Not very busy all day. Looking for Mr. Runnels in pm. - - -
Letter from Bud on 2nd mail - - - [couple of lines of shorthand]
- - - Took the car home at nite; back in after Dad. Ironed my dress, washed & get ready to skate. Got there early so I went riding. [Seven lines of shorthand: see image below!]

My comments: We know so little, really…


Families are Forever!  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Her shorthand is relatively clear with one or two words hard to figure out ... but when a girl uses shorthand in her diary, she REALLY doesn't want anyone else to read any of it. So let's keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Celia... I assumed that was the case... Hope it wasn't TOO personal... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...Im one that wants to know!!!...don't think she would mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used shorthand all the time to be able to write something that I didn't want to share... still use it - who knew Pitman shorthand would continue to be useful 53 years later! :) And her comments aren't so very personal, but still... I'd rather honour her original intent. That you have the diary is the reason I've just finished shredding my diaries from many years - and with lots of shorthand in them!!

    ReplyDelete