Monday, March 5, 2012

75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - March 5, 1937


75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - March 5, 1937


This entry is the daily post on this blog from the diary of eighteen year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date.

Since midway through 2010, a weekly update/comments blog entry began to appear on the Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. Those weekly entries, on that blog, on each Tuesday of the week, will continue, with links to these daily entries.

For 1937, for most days, there is both a short entry in a multi-year diary and a longer entry in a an appointment book like her diaries of past years. There is some indication the short entries were made later based on the longer entries. We still do not really know for sure.



Here is the short entry for Friday, March 5:

Swellest day. Saw Mr. Peak at Cadden's. Came to office & typed for him. He'll let me know about a job soon. Pete took me up to school house in pm to take a speed test. Ate in town. At nite Leo to show & I skating. Keenest time. 2 kids from Jefferson. Stuck afterwards. 11:00.

Here is the long entry for Friday, March 5:

Real swellest day out. Bussy & I drove V-8 to town because Dad has sale today. About 10:30 Mr. Cadden called & wanted me to come over to his store. Mr. Peck was there. We came over here to the office & I typed for him. A little nervous. Really dressed swell. High balls! Driving cars. Went back over to Harry's & then they left. Bussy & Dad & I ate lunch at the Bank. Typed after dinner. Met Pete out in front. Took me to school house. Got 59 & 57 perfect but couldn't get 60. Drove Chevy out & Leo & I bro't it back in. Leo to show. I skating till 11:00. Had a keen time but wish Pete had been there!

My comments: Harry Cadden ran a clothing store toward the west end of Main Street. I have no idea who Mr. Peck was, but she was obviously impress and a bit intimidated by him.

No idea about the reference to "High balls! Driving cars." but I suspect that was what he had her typing… a little out of her normal "social circle" it appears. And he: "Really dressed swell."

Do you suppose he looked anything like this?:


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment