Thursday, February 9, 2012

75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - February 9, 1937


75 Years Ago - Eileen's Diary - February 9, 1937


This entry is the daily post on this blog from the diary of eighteen year old Eileen KINNICK, 75 Years Ago this date.

Since midway through 2010, a weekly update/comments blog entry began to appear on the Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. Those weekly entries, on that blog, on each Tuesday of the week, will continue, with links to these daily entries.

For 1937, the first entry available was for January 4. It was made in a multi-year diary format, so is short. Starting on January 5, there are two entries, one on the small format and a second is a full page entry. I suspect the longer entries were made later, when she got that book… there is no way to know, unless it shows up in the entries. This goes on for a couple of weeks. Let's see how it goes.


Here is the short entry for Tuesday, February 9:

Letter from Opie. Ate at Boehlers. [Inserted above, Boehler's Cafe (Geo)] Jean, Pete, Rugh, Betty here. Drove home at nite.  Pete & I to "Ah! Wilderness." Talked things over. Smoke in his eyes. "D. Cahost (sic-cannot make it out) you."

Here is the long entry for Tuesday, February 9:

Quite cold out. Slept till nearly 8:00. Dad brought clean clothes so I took a little bath & put on clean clothes. Letter from Opie. Ruth here a minute before dinner. Ate soup at Boehler's. Jean, Pete, Ruth & Betty here alternately in pm. Drove car clear home at nite. Seemed good to be home again. Pete came at 8:00 & we went to "Ah! Wilderness." Lionel B., Jackie C., Wallace Beery. Real good. Rode around afterwards. Talked things over & came to under standing. Grand time. So good to be together again. Smoke on my coat.

My comments: Well, wasn't that interesting without really telling us anything. I feel like I'm back at home again. Negatives never got much discussion time. Only think positive. "Grand time!" for sure.

Wish I could read some of those words… and understand what the smoke had to do with it… ???

Ah, Wilderness (1935) Bank nite movie - Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore and Mickey Rooney (not Jackie C!)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Umhm - the reasons I tore/shredded every one of my diaries from when I was 13 (and I'm almost 69) - I never ever wanted my kids/grandkids to try to figure out what was going on ... Of course, some of my posts were in Pitman shorthand for "safety" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer..thought it might tell us something good ;-) ..To me..diaries are for others to read at another time..another part of family history..good or bad!!! We all have ups and downs..and sometimes people can get a better understanding of why a person was a certain way at times...just my opinion ;-)

    ReplyDelete